Friday, March 13, 2009

THAILAND

I’ve worked alongside many of my International Ministries colleagues who serve among the tribal hill peoples of northern Thailand, especially the Lahus, Akhas, and Karens. I have done conflict transformation training among ethnic refugees from Myanmar who live in camps along the Thai-Myanmar border. I’ve also facilitated trainings hosted by my IM colleagues who serve among women who have been trafficked in exploitative labor or are at high risk of such exploitation, frequently involving prostitution. These ministries are dealing with young women who have been severely traumatized and have many emotional difficulties that spark conflicts within the ministry settings. I helped equip the staff for effective ways of handling such situations.

For BBC’s country background information:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/country_profiles/1237845.stm